BARCELONA (ICIS)--Europe ethanol prices have spiked to record levels while chemical tankers are being used to store low-priced petroleum products.
Listen to this podcast interview with Clare Pennington who covers ethanol and shipping for ICIS.
- New quarterly ethanol contract saw 20% plus increases to highest prices on record
- Ethanol producers have to restrict volumes even to regular customers
- New players start to produce hand sanitizers
Sanitizer production jumps have meant full year’s worth of demand in January-April 2020 for some producers
- New ways of reporting ethanol prices being examined beyond quarterly contracts
- Demand for chemical tanker shipping has declined in line with chemical markets
- Shipping rates are inching down
- Chemical tankers now being used to store clean petroleum products such as diesel, gasoil, gasoline
- This could tighten chemical tanker supply
Podcast interview by Clare Pennington and Will Beacham
Read more analysis of chemical market trends in this week's free edition of ICIS Chemical Business.
Visit the ICIS coronavirus topic page.