PODCAST: Chems demand may never fully recover, focus on radical business models to survive
BARCELONA (ICIS)–Chemicals demand may never return to pre-pandemic levels so a radical shake up in business models is required, with a focus on local supply chains, recycling, and meeting people’s basic needs.
- Short-term “sugar lift” from furlough and unemployment schemes
- As these end, could be major unemployment and social problems in H2
- Polyethylene (PE) demand has been resilient as more low-paid people have had spare liquidity
- V-shaped recovery in China is driven by production, not true downstream demand
- Chinese companies have built massive inventory on expectations of higher future prices
- Floods also dampening China recovery
- Measuring economic recovery in percentage terms does not give true picture
- Look at absolute figures to judge recovery
- Demand may never return to pre-pandemic levels due to lower car ownership, less flying, ageing population
- Could take a generation to fix the global economy
- Chemical industry business models need radical shake-up for new opportunities
- India needs to put in basic infrastructure of healthcare, education, sanitation before it can advance
- If chemical industry can serve basic needs of developing countries it can unlock demand
- Iran and China are developing a symbiotic relationship
- $280bn investment by China in Iran could stimulate petrochemicals
- US could be shut out of China export markets as it pivots to Iran plus Belt and Road countries
- Re-shoring of supply chains driven by pandemic disruption, lower demand, circular economy
Listen to this podcast interview with John Richardson, senior consultant, Asia for ICIS and Paul Hodges, chairman of International eChem and author of the pH Report.
Interview by Will Beacham
Enter the 2020 ICIS Innovation Awards
Read this week’s ICIS Chemical Business
ICIS is organising regular updates to help the industry through this time of crisis. Register here
Read Paul Hodges ICIS Chemicals and the Economy blog
Read John Richardson’s Asia Chemical Connections blog
Click here to read the latest free pH Report Outlook newsletter
Speak with ICIS
Now, more than ever, dynamic insights are key to navigating complex, volatile commodity markets. Access to expert insights on the latest industry developments and tracking market changes are vital in making sustainable business decisions.
Want to learn about how we can work together to bring you actionable insight and support your business decisions?