BARCELONA (ICIS)--The UK chemical sector and its EU27 trading partners must face up to the reality of severe disruption to trade with or without a free trade deal coming into force.
- With or without a deal, cross-channel trade will be disrupted
- New hurdles will include customs declarations and Rules of Origin
- EU27 customers may stop sourcing from UK
- Brand owners now spending 35-40% of time on redesigning packaging for recyclability
- Danger of switch to other types of packaging if industry does not act fast enough
- Petrochemical sector must shift to recycled feedstocks or face consumer backlash
- As oil refineries close, less conventional feedstocks will be available
Listen to this podcast interview with Paul Hodges, chairman of New Normal Consulting and John Richardson, ICIS senior consultant, Asia
Editor’s note: This podcast is an opinion piece. The views expressed are those of the presenter and interviewees, and do not necessarily represent those of ICIS.
Read this week's special free EPCA edition of ICIS Chemical Business.
ICIS is organising regular updates to help the industry through this time of crisis. Register here .
Read Paul Hodges ICIS Chemicals and the Economy blog.
Read John Richardson's Asia Chemical Connections blog.
Click here to read the latest free pH Report Outlook newsletter.
Interview by Will Beacham