SINGAPORE (ICIS)--US President Donald Trump late on Thursday said he has instructed the US Trade Representative (USTR) to consider $100bn in additional tariffs against China but is still open to have discussions to remove trade barriers.
These would be in addition to the $50bn worth of US tariffs previously proposed on hundreds of Chinese imports.
China on 4 April decided to slap 25% tariffs on 106 products originating from the US, with the chemicals sector one of the key targets of the measures.
"In light of China's unfair retaliation, I have instructed the USTR to consider whether $100bn of additional tariffs would be appropriate under section 301 and, if so, to identify the products upon which to impose such tariffs," Trump said in a statement.
Trump said that China’s “illicit trade practices − ignored for years by Washington − have destroyed thousands of American factories and millions of American jobs”.
“Notwithstanding these actions, the United States is still prepared to have discussions in further support of our commitment to achieving free, fair, and reciprocal trade and to protect the technology and intellectual property of American companies and American people,” Trump said.
The US earlier on 3 April released a proposed list of products imported from China that could face 25% tariffs, covering 1,333 products valued at some $50bn in annual imports, in aerospace, information and communication technology, robotics and machinery.
Some 18% of all China’s exports go to the US. The US reported a $347bn trade deficit with China last year.